Friday, March 9, 2018

Chairs new & old



This pencil drawing was one of my favorite from last week's trip. (Yes, I know, we have been doing a lot of traveling!) The drawing, I hope, gives some insight into the relation between this table and the chairs around it- at least at this vantage point.

Here is a closer look at the heavy dining chairs that sat around the table. This was the first study I did of these chairs, which was done while we sat watching TV in the late evening. These pencil drawings were done in a 9" x 12" format. I was out of anything smaller...

I found this 9 x 12 ink drawing from September of 2016 just a couple months ago, and thought I should post it along with some of these recent chair drawings.
There is no pencil on this drawing, it was done directly in ink. But I have been drawing this chair since the late 70's. It is one we picked up at a sale, and then refinished- the polyurethane has lasted very well all these years.
The function of these chairs is the same. But the woods, the styles, the manufacturing process, as well as the weight are shall we say, decades apart...

No comments:

Post a Comment