Sunday, April 15, 2018

Wakarusa looking east



The Wakarusa river has been an attraction for some time, though admittedly low key!  It is very  typical of creeks in eastern Kansas that dump into the Kaw (Kansas River), with its steep banks and winding stream bed.   It is actually a bit larger than some of the Kaw tributaries.    Lined with trees of all sizes that often lean toward the water. This bridge is one of the newer ones. Many were still truss bridges 40 years ago when we came to the area.
If it were not 32 degrees out today, this would be just about perfect morel mushroom  hunting weather, and the perfect place for 'em in these stream banks.
On this particular day in early March, I was down on the river in the middle of my daily constitutional. It was rush hour so to speak, so there was some traffic on the bridge, but it still seemed very quiet on the bank where I was seated. This pencil drawing was done in a 9" x 12" pad. A bit larger than what I usually have with me.
There are more pencil drawings from the last couple months, both of the river and the adjoining wetlands that I will try to post in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment